This soup is delicious when served chilled. It has a very unusual taste that works wonderfully for home entertaining.
- 1 kg ripe plum tomatoes (washed and halved)
- 3 tblsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 1 large onion
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp light brown sugar
- 175 ml light chicken, vegetable stock or water (approximately)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4.
- Place the halved tomatoes onto a flat baking tray and drizzle lightly with a little olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for 45-60 minutes until the tomatoes are very soft and slightly coloured.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in the pan and add in the chopped onion and garlic and sauté gently-without colour for 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the roasted tomatoes and continue to cook for a further 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the stock (perhaps not all of it depending on the juiciness of the tomatoes.)
- Bring to the boil and then pass the soup through a blender to puree the soup.
- Correct the consistency with additional stock and the seasoning with a little salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a large jug and chill for at least 4 hours. Garnish with basil pesto.