Margaret Campbell serves up cauliflower soup with brown scones.
- 1 large onion peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tblsp butter
- 1 small head of cauliflower (cored and cut into small florets)
- 2.5 cup milk
- 0.75 cup heavy cream.
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- bouquet garni – (thyme and bay leaf)
- pinch freshly ground nutmeg
- frozen crozier blue cheese
- for the brown scones:
- 8 oz extra course brown flour
- 4 oz mix of wheat germ and bran
- 4 oz plain white flour
- 1 tsp bread soda
- 3 oz butter
- 1 egg
- ½ pint butter milk
- pinch of salt
- Melt butter in large pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and sweat for ten minutes. Cover with sheet of parchment paper cut to fit size of pan. Add garlic and continue to sweat for couple of more minutes.
- Remove parchment paper and add cauliflower, milk, cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer, covered until cauliflower is just cooked – about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove bouquet garni.
- Strain cauliflower and onions and blend this mixture in batches until really smooth. Strain milk and add to soup mixture and blend quickly until mixture is incorporated. Return to pan and add nutmeg. Adjust seasoning. Keep warm but do not reboil.
- Ladle into bowls and top with grated frozen crozier blue cheese. (This is a variation of cashel blue but made with sheep’s milk, it has a nuttier flavor that goes well with soup).
- For the brown scones:
- Put brown flour and wheat germ mix into large bowl. Sieve white flour into bowl with salt and 1teaspoon of bread soda, making sure there are no lumps in mixture. Rub in butter with finger tips until it is well mixed through.
- Add egg and enough butter milk to make a pliable dough which is not too wet. Flatten out quickly on pastry board, putting some brown flour on board first. Roll to about ¾ inch thickness and cut into scones with small cutter.
- Cook at 200°C (depends on oven) for about ten minutes. Check to see if cooked and eat as soon as cool. They should be very light coming out of oven.
More by Margaret Campbell:
- Parmesan Chicken with Tomato sauce and Rustic Potatoes, Green Salad Leaves with Walnut dressing
- Toffee Apple Fool with Cinnamon shortbread