The perfect Christmas ham.
- 2.5 kg ham
- 20 cloves
- 30 ml treacle
- 30 ml golden syrup
- 400 ml honey
- 150 g butter
- for the parsley sauce:
- ¾ pint milk
- 25 g butter
- 25 g flour
- 1 veg stock cube
- 1 bunch flat parsley
- Prepare the ham by scoring the surface with a sharp knife. Stud the ham with the cloves spaced apart evenly.
- Line a baking tray with tinfoil to avoid unnecessary mess.
- For the glaze simply mix all the remaining ingredients together and warm up in a small pot.
- Glaze the ham liberally and bake in a pre-heated oven at 165°C for 1hr 30mins basting every 10mins with the remaining warm glaze.
- For the last 5 minutes of baking turn on the grill and allow the glaze to colour evenly.
- Remove from the oven, allow to rest for 5 minutes and serve.
- To make the parsley sauce simply heat up the milk in the microwave to just before boiling point.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter, add the flour and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes over a low heat.
- Gradually add the hot milk whisking continuously until it reaches a nice sauce consistency.
- Crumble in the stock cube and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Keep the sauce warm and just before serving add the freshly chopped flat parsley.
- Top tip: To prevent Ham drying out, don’t remove the ham from the stock until it’s cold
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon
- Apple Tart Fine with Chantilly Cream and Butterscotch