A tasty treat for Christmas dinner!
- duck/goose fat
- For the perfect roast potato you need to buy the correct potatoes, I always use Maris Pipers.
- Cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces and boil in salted water for 5mins.
- Strain all the water off the potatoes and gently shake the pot to ruffle the sides of the potatoes.
- Pour onto a tray and allow to cool for 30mins.
- Put the tray into the fridge uncovered and leave until the next day so the outside becomes dry and starts to crack.
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C.
- Put your potatoes onto the baking tray and add plenty of melted duck fat. Season and toss the potatoes so they are all covered in fat.
- Bake for 30 minutes then remove from the oven and add 1 bulb of garlic cut in half, the cut side facing down. Add the thyme or rosemary sprigs whichever you prefer.
- Toss the potatoes again and return to the oven for a further 30-40 minutes spooning the fat over every 10-15 mins until golden and crisp.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote
- Pan Fried Plaice with Peas, Horseradish and Smoked Bacon