- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 200 g mushrooms
- 2 large carrots (peeled and coarsely grated)
- 1 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp seasoning, we used schwartz moroccan
- 300 g can beans (try kidney or pinto, drained and rinsed)
- 100 g cheddar (coarsely grated)
- 200 g granary bread (torn into pieces)
- burger buns, lettuce, tomato and other favourites, to serve
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a shallow saucepan over a medium flame. Tip in vegetables, seasoning and soy sauce, then cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 mins until soft.
- Tip veg into a food processor with the beans, cheese and bread, season, then pulse to a thick paste.
- With wet hands, mould mix into 8 burgers. These can be kept in the fridge for 2 days or frozen, stacked between greaseproof sheets for up to 2 months.
- To cook, heat oil in a frying pan and fry 2-3 mins on each side until crispy. Serve with toasted buns, salad, ketchup and mayo.