A delicious combination of fruit in crispy pastry.
- 450 g bought shortcrust pastry
- beaten egg, to glaze
- caster sugar, to sprinkle
- 450 g tin plums, drained
- 225 g tin mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small melon (about 750g/1.5lb) skinned, seeded and cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- 2 tblsp caster sugar
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- Put all the fruit on a 20cm/8inch pie plate, and sprinkle the sugar and ginger on top.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured board and cut a circle 2.5cm/1 inch larger in diameter than the dish.
- Wet the edges of the dish and cover the whole with pastry, pressing on the edge with the back of a fork to seal it.
- Cut some of the trimmings into leaves, or whatever you like, to decorate the tart.
- Glaze with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 200C (400F, gas 6) for 30 minutes, when the pastry should be crisp and golden.