Swedish cinnamon buns, or 'Kanelbulle', were the first thing I learned to bake when I stayed in Sweden. Pearl sugar is sprinkled on top to give it that distinctive finishing touch, but if you can't get your hands on any simply sprinkle a little Demerara s
- 400 ml milk
- 110 g butter
- 7 g sachets of dried yeast (x2)
- 110 g sugar
- 750 g cream flour
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 4 tblsp pearl sugar
- 1 egg
- for the filling:
- 110 g butter
- 90 g sugar
- 2 tblsp cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a large pot gently on a low heat and then add the milk.
- When the mixture is lukewarm, remove from the heat and add the two sachets of dried yeast, sugar and salt.
- Slowly incorporate the flour one cup at a time; be patient, as the mixture will eventually come together and you won't be left with a sticky mess forever! You may need to add less or more of the flour to get the right consistency.
- When the dough has taken shape and is no longer sticky, turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 3 minutes
- Leave the dough to rise in the bowl covered with a damp cloth for 45 minutes. Try and find somewhere warm, as the yeast will do its job a lot quicker.
- While the dough is rising, prepare the filling. Gently melt the butter in a saucepan and add the cinnamon and sugar, making a think spreadable mixture.
- When the dough has risen, cut it in half and roll it into a rectangle about 5mm thick, and then spread the filling all over.
- Then, from the long side, roll the dough so you get a snail effect and slice into approximately 15-20 pieces. Place the slices in paper wrappers face up and coat with the beaten egg. Repeat the process with the second half of the dough.
- Sprinkle the buns with pearl sugar.
- Bake the rolls in the oven at 220°c (425°F/Mark 7) for about 5-10 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Enjoy!
- This recipe and many more are available in Donal's book, Kitchen Hero, published by Harper Collins.
More by Donal Skehan:
- Donal Skehan's Fish & Chips recipe
- My Perfect Scrambled Eggs
- Brioche French Toast with Berries and Nutella