Try your hand at these spiced cookies.
- 0.5 lb lard (1 cup packed down)
- 7 cup flour (approximately)
- 2 cup new orleans molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp ginger (heaped)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (heaped)
- 2 tsp baking soda dissolved in a little vinegar
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 190’C/375’F/Gas 5.
- Put lard and sugar in boiling water and let dissolve. Add molasses, spices, baking soda with a pinch of salt and mix. Add enough flour to roll out the mix, about 7 cups.
- Roll out into a soft and thick pastry, cut with rather large round cutter.
- Place on greased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until done (test with toothpick until it comes out smooth).
- When cooled, sprinkle tops with powdered sugar.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones