A delicious dessert from Simone Kelly.
- 1 kg bramley or bettys cooking apples (peeled and cut into segments)
- 30 g butter
- lemon (zest only)
- 100 g bread crumbs (sourdough is best)
- 25 g rolled macroom oats if available, they give a nutty crunch to the crumble
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 100 g valrhona (or any 70% dark chocolate broken into pieces)
- 75 g butter
- 3 tblsp golden syrup
- 1 tsp roasted and crushed cardamom pods (levelled)
- double cream for pouring
- Soften the apples with 15g butter and the rind of a lemon until soft but still hold their shape. Combine bread crumbs and oats and roast on a tray for 5/10mins in a moderate oven.
- Soften the apples with 15g butter and the rind of a lemon until soft but still hold their shape. Toast cardamons on a dry pan and crush.
- To assemble, topple your apple into a 1.5 litre pie dish. Pile on the crumb and oat mixture, sugar, cardamon and chocolate, and pour over the melted butter and syrup,and into your oven for 35mins, or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with a gloriously rich pouring cream,Glenilen or a good vanilla ice-cream.