A rich and tempting summer desert
- 6 good-sized pears
- 400 ml water
- 3 tblsp runny honey
- 8 (to 10) cardamom pods
- 1 tub good quality vanilla ice cream, to serve
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the pears, retaining the stem, if possible.
- Bring the water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Add the honey and the cardamom pods and stir.
- Carefully place the pears in the saucepan. Lay a piece of baking paper on top of the pears and then cover the saucepan.
- Cook over a low heat for about 35 minutes, turning the pears every 10 minutes.
- Remove the pears from the heat once cooked.
- Warm slightly before serving.
- Serve each person a pear with some lovely sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream.