Make this hearty Italian dish
- 400 g dried spaghetti
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 180 g streaky bacon, rindless and preferably smoked
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- 3 tblsp dry white wine (optional)
- 4 eggs
- 3 tblsp cream
- 85 g freshly grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the bacon into strips.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and bacon together.
- Just before the bacon becomes crispy, stir in the crushed garlic and the wine, if using.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti until ‘al dente.’
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the cheese and mix thoroughly then season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the cream.
- Drain the spaghetti completely and put in the pan with the bacon mixture.
- Stir well, then, off the heat, add the egg, cheese and cream and mix well.