Michael Healy-Rae teams roast duck breast with a cherry compote
- 4 duck breasts
- 6 oz cherries
- 4 tblsp kirsch
- 4 floz orange juice
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 tsp arrowroot
- 1 star anise
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
- for the champ:
- 4 large potatoes
- 2 oz butter
- 1 floz milk
- 4 scallions, trimmed and sliced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pan Fry the duck breast skin side down on a low heat until the skin is crispy, then turn the meat over & continue cooking on the other side for another 4 minutes. Set aside to rest in a warm place.
- Boil the potatoes until tender and strain. Add the milk and butter and mash thoroughly. Sauté the scallions with a knob of butter in a pan for 2 minutes and stir into the mash, season to taste.
- For the compote, poach the Cherries on a low heat in the Kirsche. Strain them and put in another pan with the Orange Juice and bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and seasoning. Mix arrowroot with a few drops of water to make paste, slowly mix in Arrowroot to thicken the juices.
- To serve, place the champ in the center of the plate, carve the duck breast into thin slices and alongside the champ, then spoon the sauce around the meat.