- • 1 plum per portion, halved using 1 half for the poached plum and slicing the other into segments for the tart
- • for pastry: 1 egg, 1 egg yolk, 100g icing sugar, 150g cold diced butter, 325g sieved plain flour.
- • for frangipane: 100g ground almond, 100g caster sugar, 100g soft butter, 20g plain flour and 2 whole eggs
- • for crème fraiche sorbet: 300ml crème fraiche, 200ml dbl cream, 110g caster sugar, 35g liquid glucose, 1 leaf of gelatin, 105ml water and juice of 1 lemon
- • for the crumble: 30g ground almonds, 30g cold butter, 30g plain flour, 30g demara sugar, 1 tbsp. ground ginger
- • for poaching syrup: 250ml water,k 150g caster sugar, 2 star anise
- For the pastry put the sifted icing sugar and flour into a food processor with the diced butter and pulse until a sandy crumb is achived, and the egg and pulse until it just comes together, place on a floured surface and knead slightly to bring it together, clingfilm and rest for 40 minutes. Roll the chilled pastry, cut and line the tart case, pricking the base with a fork chill again until needed.
- For the frangipane cream the butter and sugar in a mixer until light and fluffy, add the eggs and beat to incorporate, fold in the flour and almonds gently, cover until ready.
- For the sorbet place the water and caster sugar in a saucepan and bring to the simmer or until the sugar has dissolved. Separately soak the gelatin in some cold water until soft. Remove the sugar syrup from the heat and add the gelatin, then the crème frais and the double cream whisk to incorporate. Add the juice of 1 lemon and whisk. Cool immediately, then churn in an ice cream machine.
- For the poached and roasted plum, bring the water, sugar and star anise to the boil then add the 2 halved plums and poach gently for 5 minutes, remove the plums and reduce the poaching liquor for the glaze.
- For the crumble blitz all the ingrediants in a food processor until a crukmb texture is achieved. Place on an oven tray lined with parchment and bake in a mediam oven until cooked. Remove and allow to cool on the tray. To finish, the mix may need to me re-crumbled by hand or in the food processor.
- To make the tart, fill the chilled pastry case ¾ full with frangipane mix, slice the halved plum into segments and fan equally around on the top of the frangipane. Bake at 180c until the pastry is cooked and the plums prangipane have a good colour, remove and allow to cool slightly.
- For the roasted and glazed plum put some butter and a little sugar into a pan and allow to heat to coloured stage then add the plum cut side down and cook for a few minutes to allow the surface to caramelize slightly remove the plum and keep warm (add some glaze at this stage)
- To serve place the tart in the middle of the plate, add a small mound of ginger crumble on top of the tart and place the roasted plum on top. Place a scoop of crème frais sorbet on top of the roasted plum and serve.