- 100 g raspberries
- 35 g caster sugar
- 1/2 vanilla pod (the seeds scraped out)
- 1 egg (separated)
- 40 ml milk
- 25 ml cream
- 5 g plain flour
- 4 g cornflour
- knob of butter (melted)
- Pre-heat the oven to 190c.
- Brush the inside of a ramekin with the melted butter ensuring the brush strokes are from bottom to top. Dust with caster sugar. Chill to set.
- Put the raspberries in a pot with 13g of sugar and the vanilla pod, seeds and pod. Heat slowly stirring until the suagr has dissolved. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Sieve the puree, keep the coulis and discard the seeds, reduce the coulis for 5 mins, then set aside to cool.
- Scald the milk and cream in a small saucepan. Beat the egg yolk and sugar together until pale and thick. Sieve in the flour and cornflour, mix through. Add a small amount of hot liquid and mix through then add to liquid in the pan. Place back on the heat, whisk constantly until the mixture is thick and smooth, about 3-5 minutes. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Mix the rapberry coulis through the Pastry cream.
- Whisk the egg white until firm peak stage. Gradually add the remaining sugar, until you have a firm glossy meringue. Mix a third of the egg white into the fruit base and then carefully fold the remaining white.
- Spoon into the ramekin. Level off the top, run your thumb around the top. Sit the ramekin on a baking tray and place in the oven. Immediately turn the oven down to 180 and bake for 12-15 minutes until risen and slightly golden, but wobbly in the centre. Dust with icing sugar.