Damon Albarn has hinted that Blur will end after their Hyde Park gig this summer.

In a recent interview with The Guardian newspaper, the 44-year-old star said that he doubted that the Britpop band will play further shows or release any new albums after the Hyde Park concert on August 12.

When probed about whether he expects more Blur gigs in the future, Albarn responded: “No, not really.”

He was then quizzed about if he believed that the show will mark the end of the band, he said: “I think so, yeah.

“And I hope that’s the truth: that that’s how we end it. I don’t know – you can write scripts, and they always end up going… well, one thing I’ve learned, and I’m sure you’re exactly the same, is that everything I think I’ve got totally sorted out, and I know exactly what’s going to happen – it never works out that way…”

Blur fans had been hoping for new material, with reports of the band recording a new album, but Albarn also revealed that new Blur records are very unlikely. When asked about this, he replied: “No, I don’t think so.

“I find it very easy to record with Graham [Coxon]. He’s a daily musician. With the other two, it’s harder for them to reconnect. You know what I mean? It’s fine when we play live – it’s really magical still – but actually recording new stuff, and swapping musical influences… it’s quite difficult.”

Meanwhile, Albarn has begun a solo career with new single The Marvelous Dream, which is out now.