Actor Nick Nolte's home in Malibu went on fire on Tuesday, with the star's living room being gutted in the blaze.

Reuters reports that he 67-year-old actor escaped with only minor injuries after trying to douse the flames with a garden hose.

Inspector Sam Padilla, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Fire Department, said that Nolte suffered smoke inhalation and minor abrasions in the fire, which was caused by an electrical problem.

Inspector James Barnes said: "Nick Nolte was there apparently with a water hose trying to extinguish the fire himself and of course we came to help him out."

The actor's spokesperson, Arnold Robinson, said in a statement the actor was "grateful" to firefighters and police "for their quick response and assistance."