The use of a commissioning cycle has three principal advantages:
- It ensures that proposals received are directed towards meeting the specific needs of RTÉ.
- All Independent Producers are given an opportunity to propose or tender, thereby guaranteeing universal access to RTÉ Television's Commissioning process.
- It formalises the procedures for receiving proposals by providing a structure in this area. This is beneficial both to RTÉ and to the Independent Producers.
Independent Productions develops a timetable each year to incorporate the commissioning cycle. The timing of this cycle is designed to ensure that sufficient time is available before the commissioning, production and completion of programmes. Milestone dates are put in place and include the following:
- deadline for submission of proposals.
- timeframe within which the receipt of proposals is acknowledged.
- date by which the commissioning decisions of RTÉ are communicated.
Appropriate advertisements are approved in conjunction with the Director of Programmes, TV. Proposals received as a result of the advertisement are reviewed and thereafter some are selected for potential further development, for commission or re-commission.
FOR ALL RELEVANT DOCUMENTATION ON THE COMMISSIONING ROUND PLEASE CLICK ON THE SUBMISSIONS MENU.