New library opens in Rathmines
Andrew Carnegie, the American millionaire, whose financial support made the new library possible. Photo: Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

New library opens in Rathmines

Published: 25 October 1913

The new Carnegie Public Library and Technical Institute has opened in Rathmines. Mr Francis McBride, President of the Library, oversaw the opening, and he congratulated Mr Batchelor, the architect, and the builders, J and R Thompson, for a job well done. The library was not only a new building, but was also the first in Ireland that will be open access – all previous libraries in the country have been open only to members. Anyone can enter the Rathmines Library and browse the shelves.

The Rev T.A. Finaly, SJ, also spoke and thanked Andrew Carnegie, the American philanthropist, for his financial support in the building of the library which, Rev Finlay stated was a ‘municipal treasure’.  The library meant that ‘all classes had much to feel thankful for, and especially the poor working man, who by it could lift himself above the cares and anxieties of his arduous work and realise a spirituality and joy in life which he could not otherwise attain’.

FURTHER READING
Century Ireland

The Century Ireland project is an online historical newspaper that tells the story of the events of Irish life a century ago.