Fire at Jones’ Road

Published: 15 June 1913

A carelessly thrown match has started a fire in a dressing room at Jones’ Road athletic grounds. The grounds, which are currently being used by St Enda’s school for its fete, were packed with people in the stand above the dressing room. Fortunately the fire was quickly extinguished by the Fire Brigade. Mr Dineen, owner of the grounds, put the cost of the damage at about £10. The Fire Brigade believed that the fire had the potential to cause considerable loss of life, as the upper stand of the canal side of the ground was full of people enjoying a tea and dancing. If the fire had spread and panic set in, it was unlikely that such a large number of people would have been able to evacuate safely.

Century Ireland

The Century Ireland project is an online historical newspaper that tells the story of the events of Irish life a century ago.