25th anniversary of the Home for Destitute Children celebrated

Published: 1 October 1913

The 25th anniversary of the opening of the Home for Destitute Children was celebrated today. The home, at 6 Northbrook Road, Leeson Park, was founded by Miss L.H. Carr. Children who are left destitute are taken into the home, and are cared for and educated until they are sixteen. The majority of children are trained for service and over the years many of them have left the home and entered full time employment. The home currently houses 250 children, and the enterprise is supported wholly by charitable giving.

Before the anniversary tea the children resident in the home gave an exhibition of their physical exercise drills, and the Rev Percy Phair, Incumbent, Leeson Park, told those gathered that he had 'never seen so many fine children come out of any home as came out of Miss Carr’s houses. They are a splendid lot of children’.

FURTHER READING
Century Ireland

The Century Ireland project is an online historical newspaper that tells the story of the events of Irish life a century ago.