The crew of Irish navy ship the LE Eithne and the small Irish community of Rio de Janeiro hold a St Patrick's Day party for some of the city's street children.
- Title LE Eithne in Brazil
- 1st Broadcast 17/03/2006
- ContributorJim Fahy (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:46
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Party for Street Children in Rio de Janeiro
- Extended description
RTÉ News reports from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil on St Patrick's Day 2006. The flagship of the Irish Naval Services, LE Eithne is on an official visit to South America and the crew host a St Patrick's Day party on board for the street children and unmarried mothers of Rio de Janeiro.
The report includes an interview with Commander Mark Mellett who says that the crew are working with a charity Task Brazil to host the party and to carry out repair works to houses and buildings in the slums.
Margaret Frew originally from County Cork sends St Patrick's Day greetings to her family.
The children are shown receiving toys donated in Dublin. Philippe Harmoniaux of Task Brazil explains the work of the charity.
Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and his feast day is celebrated on March 17th .
A RTÉ News report from Brazil on St Patrick's Day 17 March 2006.
- Local keywords LE Eithne, Task Brazil, Margaret Frew, Mark Mellett, Rio de Janeiro, Street children, Philippe Harmoniaux, Irish Navy
- Geographical coverage Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Genre News
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2006
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN06/0676
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
The Politicization of St Patrick's Day in the USA
Broadcast - 16/03/1983
Clip Length - 00:01:50
Party for Street Children in Rio de Janeiro
Broadcast - 17/03/2006
Clip Length - 00:01:46
"North Seem To Be Rebels, South Seem To Be Leprechauns"
Broadcast - 15/03/1980
Clip Length - 00:04:10
Fireworks at Rock of Cashel
Broadcast - 15/03/2008
Clip Length - 00:01:00