A subdued St Patrick's Day in Dublin and Mayo as parades are cancelled due to foot and mouth disease restrictions.
- Title Parades Cancelled Foot and Mouth Restrictions
- 1st Broadcast 17/03/2001
- ContributorOrla O'Donnell (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:44
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Foot and Mouth Leads to Parade Cancellations
- Extended description
RTÉ news reports on a subdued St Patrick's Day in Dublin and Mayo. Parades have been cancelled due to foot and mouth disease restrictions.
The report shows the President Mary McAleese and her husband Martin McAleese attending Mass in Irish at the Pro Cathedral Dublin.
Donal Norton is shown attempting a mini-parade with a shopping trolley on Grafton Street Dublin. Visitors talk about enjoying the day without the parades.
Mulraney in County Mayo has had a parade since 1930 and this year some of the local pipe band march briefly in honour of St Patrick.
Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and his feast day is celebrated on March 17th.
A foot and mouth outbreak led to restrictions across the country in 2001. RTÉ News reports on the effects on traditional St Patrick's day celebrations.
- Local keywords Pro Cathedral, President Mary McAleese, Martin McAleese, Donal Norton, Grafton Street, Gravity Bar Guinness Storehouse, Mulraney, County Mayo, Pipe band
- Geographical coverage Grafton Street, Dublin, Mulraney, County Mayo, Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2001
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN01/076
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Emigrants Home for St Patrick's Day
Broadcast - 20/03/1989
Clip Length - 00:03:47
Foot and Mouth Leads to Parade Cancellations
Broadcast - 17/03/2001
Clip Length - 00:01:44
The Politicization of St Patrick's Day in the USA
Broadcast - 16/03/1983
Clip Length - 00:01:50
Party for Street Children in Rio de Janeiro
Broadcast - 17/03/2006
Clip Length - 00:01:46
"North Seem To Be Rebels, South Seem To Be Leprechauns"
Broadcast - 15/03/1980
Clip Length - 00:04:10
Fireworks at Rock of Cashel
Broadcast - 15/03/2008
Clip Length - 00:01:00