On a wet and gloomy St Patrick's Day in 1965, RTÉ News looks at festivities around the country and a report from London.
- Title Round Up of Parades
- 1st Broadcast 17/03/1965
- ContributorJoe Fahy (Reporter)
Anne Binchy (Reporter)
Cecil Deeney (Reporter)
Kevin O'Kelly (Reporter)
Mike Burns (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:07:36
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Roundup of Parades
- Extended description
On a wet and gloomy St Patrick's Day in 1965, RTÉ News presents reports from around the country and London.
In Dublin, the parade is dominated by industrial products. There is no parade in Belfast, and few of the usual shoppers from south of the border.
In London, reporter Joe Fahy believes that, "any Irishman in London feels ten feet tall on this St Patrick's Day." There is also footage from Limerick, Cork, Galway and Armagh. The RTÉ reporters are Joe Fahy, Anne Binchy, Cecil Deeney, Kevin O'Kelly and Eoin Leeson who report from various parades.
Mike Burns reports from Downpatrick Cathedral. Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and his feast day is celebrated on March 17th.
A RTÉ News report on St Patrick's day parades in 1965.
Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and his feast day is celebrated on March 17th.
- Local keywords St Patricks Day, Ireland, Dublin, O'Connell Street, GPO, London, Westminister Abbey, London, Belfast, City Hall, Limerick, Galway
- Geographical coverage Belfast, Limerick, Galway, Dublin, Ireland, London
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel Telefís Éireann
- Production year 1965
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier N192/0065A
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Shortest St Patrick's Day Parade
Broadcast - 17/03/1999
Clip Length - 00:00:33
Broadcast - 17/03/1966
Clip Length - 00:03:57
In the Footsteps of Saint Patrick
Broadcast - 17/03/2005
Clip Length - 00:01:20
'The Muppet Show' Win Best Float
Broadcast - 17/03/1979
Clip Length - 00:09:03
Roundup of Parades
Broadcast - 17/03/1965
Clip Length - 00:07:36
Paddy's Day Parade on Hold
Broadcast - 02/03/2001
Clip Length - 00:01:34