Emigrants leave Ireland from Knock Airport after a visit home for Christmas.
- Title Emigrants Leave Ireland After Christmas
- 1st Broadcast 05/01/1994
- ContributorJim Fahy (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:15
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Emigrants Leave Ireland After Christmas
- Extended description
Christmas in Ireland is a time for family gatherings. In periods of high emigration, this often meant thousands returning home for the holidays. After Christmas, there would be a mass departure.
Jim Fahy reports from Knock Airport as thousands of those who had been home for Christmas leave Irish shores again. One crying woman tells of her four children who have been forced to emigrate due to local unemployment. An elderly man states that he is still Irish even though he left over fifty years ago and he will never be granted a vote in Ireland.
A RTÉ News report on emigrants leaving Ireland again after the Christmas holidays. Broadcast 5 January 1994.
- Local keywords Knock Airport, Ryanair, Christmas, Emigration, Recession
- Geographical coverage Knock, Mayo, Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1994
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN94/001
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Showband Stars Shopping Spree
Broadcast - 25/12/1963
Clip Length - 00:02:44
Emigrants Leave Ireland After Christmas
Broadcast - 05/01/1994
Clip Length - 00:02:15
Alone at Christmas
Broadcast - 20/12/1964
Clip Length - 00:13:31
"You Can Sleep In My Stable With The Donkeys And The Horses"
Broadcast - 20/12/1993
Clip Length - 00:02:14
Shopping in Dublin
Broadcast - 08/12/1982
Clip Length - 00:02:06
"Just Dying to See Everybody"
Broadcast - 21/12/1990
Clip Length - 00:02:06