Poverty and generosity at Christmas and the thoughts of Ireland's last wandering bard.
- Title Poverty at Christmas
- 1st Broadcast 18/12/1969
- ContributorCathal O'Shannon (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:07:20
- Material Type Video
- Series title Newsbeat
- Clip title "Oh Pray For Me Dear Ireland, And All Thy Beggars Too"
- Extended description
A report from the series 'Newsbeat' on poverty at Christmas. Shoppers are shown in a department store and the reporter Cathal O' Shannon gives details on the amount of money that will be spent this Christmas on items such as toys and cards.
In Galway Francis Kendall-Husband the last wandering bard in Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales tells Cathal O'Shannon about homelessness at Christmas and throughout the year.
The clip shown here is edited from a longer report looking at how a bard, a Traveller family, a fortune teller and an unemployed man would be spending Christmas. This edition of 'Newsbeat' was broadcast 18 December 1969.
'Newsbeat' was a half-hour feature programme which ran on television from Monday to Friday from September 1964 to June 1971. Reporting on stories from around the country, 'Newsbeat' covered affairs of the day with contributions from print journalists and RTÉ news staff.
- Local keywords Christmas, Poverty, Homelessness, Poetry, Francis Kendall-Husband, Shopping, Christmas cards, Galway
- Geographical coverage Galway, Ireland
- Genre Factual
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier P808/00069
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
The Late Late Toy Show
Broadcast - 12/12/1981
Clip Length - 00:06:06
Christmas Tree Theft
Broadcast - 08/11/1962
Clip Length - 00:02:36
"Oh Pray For Me Dear Ireland, And All Thy Beggars Too"
Broadcast - 18/12/1969
Clip Length - 00:07:20
Broadcast - 01/05/1977
Clip Length - 00:02:44
Christmas Day Swim in Dublin 1980
Broadcast - 25/12/1980
Clip Length - 00:00:54
Showband Stars Shopping Spree
Broadcast - 25/12/1963
Clip Length - 00:02:44