A tradition of singing ancient Christmas carols is kept alive in Kilmore Church, County Wexford. The songs are sung in the Yola language which is unique to Wexford.
- Title Kilmore Carols
- 1st Broadcast 01/05/1977
- ContributorDiarmuid O Muirithe (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:44
- Material Type Video
- Series title The Arts Programme
- Clip title Kilmore Carols
- Extended description
In this report from 'The Arts Programme' a choir of six local men, all related to each other is profiled. The choir sing ancient carols and religious songs in Kilmore church, County Wexford maintaining a family tradition. The men are Jack Devereaux, Johnny Devereaux, Liam Shield, Jimmy Kehoe, Tim Revell and Jack Busher. The voiceover is by the RTÉ reporter Diurmuid O'Muirithe who mentions the various careers the six men are or were involved in. The songs are in the Yola language which is unique to Wexford.
A report from 'The Arts Programme' series first broadcast in 1 May 1977.
- Local keywords Kilmore Church, County Wexford, Choral music, Christmas carols, Jack Devereaux, Jack Busher, Jerusalem My Happy Home, Johnny Devereaux, Liam Shield, Tim Revell, Jimmy Kehoe
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1977
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier P332/00077
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
"Zig is Very High on the Naughty Things List"
Broadcast - 25/12/1992
Clip Length - 00:03:46
The Late Late Toy Show
Broadcast - 12/12/1981
Clip Length - 00:06:06
Christmas Tree Theft
Broadcast - 08/11/1962
Clip Length - 00:02:36
"Oh Pray For Me Dear Ireland, And All Thy Beggars Too"
Broadcast - 18/12/1969
Clip Length - 00:07:20
Broadcast - 01/05/1977
Clip Length - 00:02:44
Christmas Day Swim in Dublin 1980
Broadcast - 25/12/1980
Clip Length - 00:00:54