The White Witch of Cobh advises on how to deal with ghosts at the Annual World Ghost Convention.
- Title Annual World Ghost Convention
- 1st Broadcast 29/10/2010
- ContributorCian McCormack (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:53
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title How to Deal With Ghosts at Halloween
- Extended description
The return of the dead is a traditional theme at Halloween, when the veil between worlds is said to be thin.
Reporter Cian McCormack visits Cork City Gaol, where the Annual World Ghost Convention is being held. The convention organisers chose this 19th century building because they believe it has its own resident ghosts. One of the speakers at the convention is Helen Barrett, the White Witch of Cobh, who advises on how to deal with ghosts at Halloween: "the spirits will always leave a room if you chime a bell. Have sea salt if you can".
Gaol manager Elizabeth Kearns says the convention is "a serious academic evening" while organiser Catherine Courtney wants to raise awareness of the supernatural world because many people who have experienced it would be "afraid or embarrassed to come forward".
A RTÉ News report broadcast on 29 October 2010.
Halloween (a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening) is a yearly holiday observed around the world on October 31, the night before All Saints' Day incorporates traditions from pagan harvest festivals and festivals honouring the dead, particularly the Celtic Samhain.
The Annual World Ghost Convention is held every year at Cork City Gaol on the Friday of the October bank holiday weekend.
- Local keywords Halloween, Samhain, Return of the dead, Ghosts, Otherworld, Annual World Ghost Convention, Cork City Gaol, Helen Barrett, White Witch of Cobh, Elizabeth Kearns, Catherine Courtney, Cian McCormack
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2010
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN10/00302
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Stereo
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Druids Perform the Rites of Samhain
Broadcast - 31/10/2005
Clip Length - 00:01:25
"The Night of Mischief"
Broadcast - 31/10/1979
Clip Length - 00:00:36
Saddam Hussein Dances With Hellraiser
Broadcast - 02/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:04:38
"A very important time for magicians"
Broadcast - 02/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:03:40
The Heaviest Pumpkin in Virginia
Broadcast - 27/10/2011
Clip Length - 00:01:35
How to Deal With Ghosts at Halloween
Broadcast - 29/10/2010
Clip Length - 00:01:53