Pumpkins arrive from all over Ireland for the annual competition in Virginia, Co. Cavan.
- Title Virginia Pumpkin Festival
- 1st Broadcast 27/10/2011
- ContributorRichard Dowling (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:35
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title The Heaviest Pumpkin in Virginia
- Extended description
Pumpkins are a popular Halloween feature that have inspired their very own festival in Virginia, Co. Cavan.
Reporter Richard Dowling visits the town of Virginia, where pumpkins are arriving from all over Ireland for the heaviest pumpkin competition. Donal McEvoy of the Virginia Pumpkin Festival says there are contests for pumpkins of all shapes and sizes, including the ugliest and the smoothest, but the main competition is for the heaviest. The whole town of Virginia has entered into the spirit of the festival, with children playing in the pumpkin park and shop fronts decorated with pumpkins.
A RTÉ News report broadcast on 27 October 2011.
Halloween (a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening) is a yearly holiday observed around the world on October 31, the night before All Saints' Day incorporates traditions from pagan harvest festivals and festivals honouring the dead, particularly the Celtic Samhain.
The Virginia Pumpkin Festival takes place every year during the October bank holiday weekend.
- Local keywords Halloween, Halloween customs, Halloween festivals, Virginia Pumpkin festival, pumpkins, Virginia, Donal McEvoy, food fairs, food competitions, food festivals
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2011
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN11/00300
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Druids Perform the Rites of Samhain
Broadcast - 31/10/2005
Clip Length - 00:01:25
"The Night of Mischief"
Broadcast - 31/10/1979
Clip Length - 00:00:36
Saddam Hussein Dances With Hellraiser
Broadcast - 02/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:04:38
"A very important time for magicians"
Broadcast - 02/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:03:40
The Heaviest Pumpkin in Virginia
Broadcast - 27/10/2011
Clip Length - 00:01:35
How to Deal With Ghosts at Halloween
Broadcast - 29/10/2010
Clip Length - 00:01:53