Hundreds of young people gather before Samhain, King of Seasons, at the Ballymun Otherword Festival.
- Title Ballymun Otherworld Festival
- 1st Broadcast 01/11/2004
- ContributorBrian Finn (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:45
- Material Type Video
- Series title News2day
- Clip title Ballymun Celebrates Celtic Halloween
- Extended description
News2day reporter Brian Finn visits the Ballymun Otherworld Festival in Dublin, where Halloween is being celebrated Celtic-style. Traditionally, the Celtic New Year began at Halloween, the festival of Samhain. Tonight, hundreds of young people dressed in costumes representing the four seasons have gathered before Samhain, the King of Seasons, to decide which is the best season. There is a dragon to contend with too.
Other Halloween customs are not being neglected in Ballymum, with a spectacular fireworks display and children going trick or treating.
A RTÉ News report broadcast on 1 November 2004.
Halloween (a shortening of All Hallows’ Evening) is a yearly holiday observed around the world on October 31, the night before All Saints' Day incorporates traditions from pagan harvest festivals and festivals honouring the dead, particularly the Celtic Samhain.
The Ballymun Otherworld Festival takes place every year at Halloween.
- Local keywords Halloween, Samhain, Ballymun Otherworld Festival, Dragons, Fireworks, Trick or treat, Brian Finn, Rachel Keenan, Donna Harper, Christopher Caffrey, Celtic New Year
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ Two (Network 2)
- Production year 2004
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN04/306
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Ballymun Celebrates Celtic Halloween
Broadcast - 01/11/2004
Clip Length - 00:01:45
Traditional Halloween Pranks and Divination
Broadcast - 31/10/1986
Clip Length - 00:04:05
Halloween in Cavan
Broadcast - 31/10/1986
Clip Length - 00:04:36
Home Made Halloween Costumes
Broadcast - 27/10/1993
Clip Length - 00:03:06
"Left The Chairs For Them To Sit.."
Broadcast - 30/10/1983
Clip Length - 00:03:57
Shop Bought Halloween Costumes
Broadcast - 29/10/2002
Clip Length - 00:01:50