A growing trend in parents buying Halloween costumes rather than making them at home.
- Title Shop Bought Halloween Costumes
- 1st Broadcast 29/10/2002
- ContributorMary Calpin (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:50
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Shop Bought Halloween Costumes
- Extended description
RTÉ News reports on the trend towards buying Halloween costumes for children rather than making them at home. Reporter Mary Calpin talks to Cathal O'Dea of Smyths Toy Store in Dublin who says that increasingly parents are buying costumes for their children.Mary Calpin adds up the costs associated with a costume. The range of costumes and masks in the shop are shown.
Fionnuala Kilfeather of the National Parents Council says parents should refuse to buy expensive costumes for their children. She offers advice on how to stay safe but also enjoy Halloween night.
The origins of Halloween are found in Ireland and Scotland. Children traditionally dress up and look for fruit and sweets from local houses. There are a variety of traditional games played at Halloween such as ducking for apples in a basin of water.
This report from RTÉ News was broadcast 29 October 2001.
- Local keywords Halloween, Costumes, Toyshops, Cathal O Dea, Smyths Toy Store, Retail, National Parents Council, Fionnuala Kilfeather, Halloween Masks
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic National Holidays, Festivals, Anniversaries, Annual Events
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2002
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN02/302
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
"Left The Chairs For Them To Sit.."
Broadcast - 30/10/1983
Clip Length - 00:03:57
Shop Bought Halloween Costumes
Broadcast - 29/10/2002
Clip Length - 00:01:50
Preparing for Halloween in Bray
Broadcast - 31/10/1977
Clip Length - 00:01:47
Halloween Fireworks for Sale
Broadcast - 31/10/1986
Clip Length - 00:04:04
Witches On Liveline
Broadcast - 15/10/1985
Clip Length - 00:04:42
Music for Halloween
Broadcast - 31/10/1982
Clip Length - 00:02:05