Brian Lenihan of Fianna Fáil tops the poll in Dublin West, and becomes the first candidate elected by electronic voting in Ireland.
- Title Lenihan First Elected in Electronic Count
- 1st Broadcast 18/05/2002
- ContributorJohn Bowman (Presenter)
Bryan Dobson (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:05:25
- Material Type Video
- Series title Election 2002
- Clip title Lenihan First Elected in Electronic Count
- Extended description
'Election 2002' presenter John Bowman and journalist Vincent Browne are discussing the implications of electronic voting as the first result from an electronic count is about to be announced.
At 2.05am, the result in Dublin West is declared. Brian Lenihan of Fianna Fáil tops the poll, and in doing so becomes the first candidate elected by electronic voting in Ireland. Joan Burton of Labour wins back the seat she lost in 1997. Joe Higgins of the Socialist Party takes the third seat.
Shortly afterwards, Brian Lenihan offers a candidate's opinion of the electronic count.
Coverage of the general election from 'Election 2002' showing the first result from an electronic vote. 'Election 2002' was broadcast on the 17 and 18 of May 2002.
- Local keywords General Election 2002, Electronic Voting, Brian Lenihan, Joan Burton, Labour party, Joe Higgins, Socialist Party, Dublin West constituency, Fianna Fáil, Vincent Browne, Labour Party
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2002
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier DX91/01644
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Broadcast - 10/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:06:19
Coverage of First Week of Election Campaign
Broadcast - 05/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:35
Leaders Debate review
Broadcast - 14/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:50
Lenihan First Elected in Electronic Count
Broadcast - 18/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:05:25
Tension Runs High at Electronic Counts
Broadcast - 18/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:04:56
- General Election 1965
- General Election 1969
- General Election 1973
- General Election 1977
- General Election 1981
- General Election February 1982
- General Election November 1982
- General Election 1987
- General Election 1989
- General Election 1992
- General Election 1997
- General Election 2002
- General Election 2007
- General Election 2011