Results take longer to emerge from the new electronic counting system than has been originally anticipated. This adds to the tension in the constituencies of Meath and Dublin North.
- Title Tension Runs High at Electronic Counts
- 1st Broadcast 18/05/2002
- ContributorJohn Bowman (Presenter)
Bryan Dobson (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:56
- Material Type Video
- Series title Election 2002
- Clip title Tension Runs High at Electronic Counts
- Extended description
Results take longer to emerge from the new electronic counting system than has been originally anticipated. This adds to the tension in the constituencies of Dublin North and Meath.
In Meath, John Bruton retains his seat for Fine Gael and is joined by newcomer Damien English. For Fianna Fáil, Noel Dempsey, Mary Wallace and Johnny Brady are returned. Johnny Brady has to wait until last to hear he has been elected, much to the relief of his young son.
In Dublin North, Green Party leader Trevor Sargent is the first elected, but there is some confusion when the presiding officer is not heard reading out the winner of the fourth seat, which goes to G V Wright of Fianna Fáil. This means that Nora Owen, a former deputy leader of Fine Gael, has lost her seat.
Results from the constituencies of Meath and Dublin North as shown on 'Election 2002' RTÉ television's coverage of the general election of 2002.
For the first time in a general election electronic voting was used in three constituencies and caused much debate. Voting was electronic in Meath and Dublin North for the general election of 2002.
- Local keywords General Election 2002, Electronic Voting, Trevor Sargent, Green Party, Nora Owen, Damien English, Noel Dempsey, Mary Wallace, Johnny Brady, Fine Gael, Proportional Representation, G.V Wright, Fianna Fáil
- Geographical coverage Dublin, Meath, Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2002
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier HX91/03958
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Broadcast - 10/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:06:19
Coverage of First Week of Election Campaign
Broadcast - 05/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:35
Leaders Debate review
Broadcast - 14/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:03:50
Lenihan First Elected in Electronic Count
Broadcast - 18/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:05:25
Tension Runs High at Electronic Counts
Broadcast - 18/05/2002
Clip Length - 00:04:56
- General Election 1965
- General Election 1969
- General Election 1973
- General Election 1977
- General Election 1981
- General Election February 1982
- General Election November 1982
- General Election 1987
- General Election 1989
- General Election 1992
- General Election 1997
- General Election 2002
- General Election 2007
- General Election 2011