After the 1997 general election there are only twenty women who have seats in parliament.
- Title Fewer Women TDs in Dáil
- 1st Broadcast 10/06/1997
- ContributorMargaret Ward (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:53
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Fewer Women in Parliament
- Extended description
RTÉ News looks at how women participating in the general election fared. The report shows women who won and lost seats. Eight women TDs (teachta dála - members of parliament) were not re-elected which means that overall there are three less women TDs in the Dáil (parliament) after the 1997 general election.
Reporter Margaret Ward looks at the place of women in Irish politics in a new Dáil which has only twenty female deputies. Niamh Breathnach, who had been Minister for Education, was one of the losers and is interviewed in Dun Laoghaire.
Frances Gardner, a political scientist at Trinity College Dublin, notes the small number of women candidates standing at elections compared to other European countries.
A RTÉ News report on how there will be fewer women in the Dáíl following the 1997 General Election. This report was first broadcast 10 June 1997.
- Local keywords General Election 1997, Niamh Breathnach, Frances Gardner, Trinity College Dublin, Women, Dáil Éireann, Eithne Fitzgerald, Joan Burton, Avril Doyle, Monica Barnes, Beverly Cooper Flynn, Deirdre Clune
- Geographical coverage Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1997
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN97/161
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Fewer Women in Parliament
Broadcast - 10/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:53
Election Success For Independents
Broadcast - 10/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:31
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election