Mary Harney of the Progressive Democrats and Dick Spring of the Labour Party debate live on television.
- Title Harney and Spring TV Debate
- 1st Broadcast 03/06/1997
- ContributorCarole Coleman (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:01:58
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Harney and Spring Clash
- Extended description
RTÉ News reports on the debate between Mary Harney of the Progressive Democrats Party and Dick Spring of the Labour Party in a televised debate. The debate was part of the lead up to the general election in 1997. They clash over proposed cuts in public service jobs and over their choice of government partners. Harney calls Spring the "great deal-breaker of all time".
Both Spring and Harney are interviewed following the debate. The leader of the Democratic Left party Proinsias De Rossa is interviewed after his one-on-one interview with Eamon Lawlor of RTÉ.
A RTÉ News report on the televised debate between Mary Harney an Dick Spring which was part of the coverage of the campaign for the general election in 1997.
- Local keywords General Election 1997, Mary Harney, Progressive Democrats, Dick Spring, Democratic Left, Proinsias de Rossa, Television debate, Labour Party
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 1997
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier BN97/00154
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Presiding Officer Loses After Photograph With Bertie
Broadcast - 07/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:00
"Canvassing is a Hypocritical Practice"
Broadcast - 03/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:03:50
Harney and Spring Clash
Broadcast - 03/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:58
Reaction to John Bruton and Bertie Ahern TV Debate
Broadcast - 06/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:05:23
Gormley Calls for Electronic Voting
Broadcast - 09/06/1997
Clip Length - 00:01:53
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election