Dr Mossajee Bhamjee became the first Muslim elected to the Dáil when he was elected as a Labour deputy for Clare. Cliona O'Flynn's radio documentary the 'Indian from Clare' looks back on the election of the popular psychiatrist.
- Title The Indian from Clare
- 1st Broadcast 01/12/1993
- ContributorCliodna Ó Flynn (Presenter & Producer)
- Clip Duration 00:05:44
- Material Type Audio
- Clip title The Indian from Clare
- Extended description
A profile of Dr. Moosajee Bhamjee (Labour) who was elected as a T.D for Co. Clare in the 1992 General Election. This extract includes a declaration of Bhamjee’s result from the Count Centre.
Dr. Bhamjee and his wife Claire talk about the difficulties encountered in a marriage between a Muslim and a Catholic. The children were free to make up their own minds; two became Catholics. Claire also talks about her experience of Apartheid in South Africa where Dr. Bhamjee family lives.
Analysis of his appeal to the Clare electorate is presented by Jo Walsh (Labour Party Activist) & Caimin Jones (Clare Local Radio, Journalist).
Cliona O'Flynn's documentary 'The Indian from Clare' was a portrait of Mossa Bhamjee and his family with an emphasis on the personal rather than the political history.
The programme was broadcast on RTÉ Radio 1 on 1 December 1993.
- Local keywords Politics, Elections, Labour, County Clare, Dr Mossajee Bhamjee, Jo Walsh (Labour Party), Caimin Jones(Clare Local Radio, Journalist), Apartheid, South Africa
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Clare, South Africa
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ Radio One
- Production year 1993
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA5445
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Stereo
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Campaigning in Dublin
Broadcast - 18/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:07:57
What Do Tallymen Do?
Broadcast - 25/11/1992
Clip Length - 00:03:13
Longest Count Ends Win For Briscoe
Broadcast - 05/12/1992
Clip Length - 00:01:44
The Indian from Clare
Broadcast - 01/12/1993
Clip Length - 00:05:44
Decisions Time for Labour and Fianna Fáil
Broadcast - 10/12/1992
Clip Length - 00:07:00
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election