The Sunday Independent newspaper runs a competition offering £250,000 to anyone who can predict the election results.
- Title General Election 1987
- 1st Broadcast 20/02/1987
- ContributorGay Byrne (Presenter)
Philip Kampff (Producer)
- Clip Duration 00:06:49
- Material Type Audio
- Series title The Gay Byrne Show
- Clip title Newspaper Offers £250,000 to Predict Election Results
- Extended description
A side bar to the 1987 general election was a competition run by the Sunday Independent. £250,000 for anyone who could predict the numbers of seats returned by Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael along with the numbers and names of successful candidates for the Progressive Democrats, the Workers Party and the Labour Party. Despite the difficulty, there were almost 300,000 entries including one large syndicate.
Sunday Independent editor, Aengus Fanning, speaks to Gay Byrne about the competition and the chances of someone making the correct prediction.
Aengus Fanning on the Gay Byrne Radio Show with details of a competition offering £250,000 to anyone who could predict the results of the 1987 General Election.
The photograph accompanying this clip is of presenter Gay Byrne taken in 1986.
© RTÉ Stills Library 0132/056
- Local keywords Politics, Elections, Debates, Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Progressive Democrats, Workers Party, Labour Party, Sunday Independent, Aengus Fanning, Gay Byrne
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ Radio One
- Production year 1987
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier QCC007064
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Stereo
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
First Election Campaign For PDs
Broadcast - 03/02/1987
Clip Length - 00:04:23
Newspaper Offers £250,000 to Predict Election Results
Broadcast - 20/02/1987
Clip Length - 00:06:49
Disenchantment Among Young Voters
Broadcast - 10/02/1987
Clip Length - 00:06:33
Success for the Progressive Democrats
Broadcast - 17/02/1987
Clip Length - 05:18
Dick Spring Just Keeps His Seat
Broadcast - 18/02/1987
Clip Length - 00:05:53
- General Election 1965
- General Election 1969
- General Election 1973
- General Election 1977
- General Election 1981
- General Election February 1982
- General Election November 1982
- General Election 1987
- General Election 1989
- General Election 1992
- General Election 1997
- General Election 2002
- General Election 2007
- General Election 2011