Taoiseach Charles Haughey speaks out strongly against the H Block activists who attempt to disrupt his election campaign.
- Title Taoiseach Campaigns in Border Counties
- 1st Broadcast 02/06/1981
- ContributorTom McSweeney (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:50
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Taoiseach Campaigns in Border Counties
- Extended description
RTÉ News reports on the Taoiseach Charles Haughey leader of the Fianna Fáil party as he campaigns throughout the country in advance on the 1981 general election.
In the border counties of Donegal, Monaghan and Cavan , supporters of the hunger strikers in the H Block prison attempt to disrupt the campaign.
The National H-Blocks Committees had announced that they would harrass the Taoiseach during all public appearances during the election campaign because, they claimed, he had not done enough to end the hunger strike in the Maze Prison.
The Taoiseach is received warmly in Arklow and Newtownmountkennedy.
RTÉ News reports on the Taoiseach Charles Haughey as he campaigns throughout the country against the background of hunger strikes by Republican prisoners in the north of Ireland.
Republican prisoners in Long Kesh prison, also known as the Maze or the H Blocks near Belfast , Northern Ireland wished to be treated as political prisonsers. 10 prisoners died on the 1981 hunger strikes.
- Local keywords General Election 1981, Charles Haughey, Fianna Fail, Letterkenny, County Donegal, Monaghan, Castleblaney, Gardai, Cootehill, County Cavan , Newtownmountkennedy, County Wicklow, H Block supporters, Declan Connolly, Arklow, County Wexford
- Geographical coverage Ireland, Donegal, Letterkenny, Monaghan, Castleblaney, Cavan, Cootehill, Newtownmountkennedy, Arklow, Wicklow, Wexford
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1981
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier N153/0081D
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election