Jim Tunney is elected in Dublin North West and promises the nation and his mother that he and the Fianna Fáil party will do something about rates.
- Title General Election 1969
- 1st Broadcast 19/06/1969
- ContributorJohn O'Donoghue (Presenter)
Rodney Rice (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:03:20
- Material Type Video
- Clip title Tunney Promises Mother He Will Do Something About Rates
- Extended description
This clip from the RTÉ General Election 1969 results programme shows how viewers were kept up to date on incoming results by the teleprinter. The studio discussion is interrupted as the programme goes live to the Bolton Street count centre where Jim Tunney is elected for Dublin North West.
The studio panel features Garret Fitzgerald a future Taoiseach (Prime Minister), Brendan Halligan and Ted Nealon.
This extract is from 'General Election 1969' a results programme following the counts from around the country. Viewers were kept up to date on incoming results by a teleprinter and a panel discussing the implications of seats won and lost.
- Local keywords General Election 1969, Garret Fitzgerald, Teleprinter, Proportional Representation, Jim Tunney, Fianna Fáil, Rates, Brendan Halligan
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1969
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier 96D/00069
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Haughey, Ryan and Dunne Address Voters
Broadcast - 00/06/1969
Clip Length - 00:04:50
"I Am About Sick of Being Called...Brian Lenihan's Father"
Broadcast - 13/06/1969
Clip Length - 00:03:45
Canvassing at the Church Gates
Broadcast - 13/06/1969
Clip Length - 00:04:17
Tunney Promises Mother He Will Do Something About Rates
Broadcast - 19/06/1969
Clip Length - 00:03:20
- 1965 General Election
- 1969 General Election
- 1973 General Election
- 1977 General Election
- 1981 General Election
- 1982 General Election February
- 1982 General Election November
- 1987 General Election
- 1989 General Election
- 1992 General Election
- 1997 General Election
- 2002 General Election
- 2007 General Election
- 2011 General Election