The general election of 1965 was the first to be covered by television.
- Title News Review - Year In Year Out
- 1st Broadcast 30/12/1965
- ContributorKevin O'Kelly (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:41
- Material Type Video
- Clip title First Election Covered By Television
- Extended description
An extract from a news review programme for 1965 showing some of that year's general election. The election of April 1965 was the first to be covered by television.
Studio One was converted into a special "Election Newsroom" with John O'Donoghue as presenter. Cameras were present at the counts in Dublin's Bolton Street, and in Wexford, Cork and Monaghan. Four reporters read results as they came in via specially installed teleprinters which were linked directly to the General Post Office in Dublin.
Political correspondents, John Healy of the Irish Times and John O'Sullivan of The Cork Examiner, were joined by Garret Fitzgerald and Professor Basil Chubb to offer analysis of the unfolding results.
This clip shows the result of the first count for Dublin North East from the count centre at Bolton Street.
An extract taken from the programme 'Year In Year Out' a news review of 1965 showing the count at Dublin North East in the first general election to be covered by television.
- Local keywords 1965, General Election, Television coverage, Bolton Street, Dublin North East Constituency, Garret Fitzgerald, John Healy, John O'Sullivan, Basil Chubb
- Geographical coverage Dublin, Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel Telefís Éireann
- Production year 1965
- Country of production IRELAND
- Original identifier N336/00065
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
- General Election 1965
- General Election 1969
- General Election 1973
- General Election 1977
- General Election 1981
- General Election February 1982
- General Election November 1982
- General Election 1987
- General Election 1989
- General Election 1992
- General Election 1997
- General Election 2002
- General Election 2007
- General Election 2011