A look back at the career of broadcaster Colm Murray following his death on 30 July 2013.
- Title Death of Colm Murray
- 1st Broadcast 30/07/2013
- ContributorSharon Ní Bheoláin (Newscaster)
Bryan Dobson (Newscaster)
- Clip Duration 00:04:15
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title “Voice of Irish Racing” Colm Murray Dies
- Extended description
Sharon Ní Bheoláin reports on tributes paid to the broadcaster Colm Murray following his death. Enda Kenny described him as “the voice of Irish racing”. Bryan Dobson takes a look back at his career, with TV clips of Colm Murray’s horse-racing commentary and interviews with Colm following his diagnosis with motor neurone disease.
Colm Murray was born in Moate, Co. Westmeath in 1952. He worked as a teacher before becoming a radio continuity announcer in RTÉ in 1978. While in radio, he presented 'Hospitals' Requests'. He joined the RTÉ newsroom in 1983 and moved into Six One Sport in 1989. As a sports commentator, he specialised in horse-racing, and was given a 'Contribution to the Industry Award' by Horse Racing Ireland in 2010.
In 2010 Colm Murray was diagnosed with motor neurone disease. His condition was the subject of the 2012 RTÉ1 documentary 'MND: The Inside Track' and he won a 'People of the Year' award later in 2012 for his efforts to find a cure.
A RTÉ News report for the Six One News by Bryan Dobson, introduced by Sharon Ní Bheoláin. It was broadcast on 30 July 2013.
- Local keywords RTÉ, History of RTÉ, Obituaries, Colm Murray, Enda Kenny, Sharon Ní Bheoláin, Bryan Dobson, Sports commentary, Sports commentators, Horse racing, Horse Racing Ireland, Hospitals' Requests, Motor neurone disease, mnd, Mnd: the Inside Track, People of the Year
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic The Media
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2013
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 13LTO26
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia,web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like furtherguidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
New RTÉ News Now App
Broadcast - 16/04/2014
Clip Length - 00:02:36
GAAGO Brings Games to Global Audience
Broadcast - 14/05/2014
Clip Length - 00:02:22
RTÉ TWO Becomes RTÉ2
Broadcast - 22/09/2014
Clip Length - 00:03:20
Pat Kenny Leaves RTÉ
Broadcast - 02/09/2013
Clip Length - 00:02:06
“Voice of Irish Racing” Colm Murray Dies
Broadcast - 30/07/2013
Clip Length - 00:04:15