Queen Elizabeth II and President McAleese lay wreaths at the Garden of Remembrance on the first day of the Royal visit.
- Title Queen Visits Garden of Remembrance
- 1st Broadcast 17/05/2011
- ContributorCharlie Bird (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:45
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Queen Elizabeth II Visits Ireland
- Extended description
Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip arrive at Garden of Remembrance among tight security. Minister for Defence Alan Shatter welcomes the Royal party.
During the short ceremony the Queen and President McAleese lay wreaths followed by a minute silence. The British and Irish national anthems are played and the Last Post is sounded. Former Taoisigh Brian Cowen and Bertie Ahern comment on the significane of the Queen's visit to the Garden of Remembrance.
Within one week in May 2011 RTÉ was to cover three major events. The first was the four day state visit of Queen Elizabeth followed by the arrival of President Obama. In between the two visits was the state funeral of former Taoiseach Garret Fitzgerald
Queen Elizabeth II was the first British moanarch to visit the Republic of Ireland. The ceremony in the Garden of Remembrance took place on the first day of the visit and was seen as being hugely significant in defining a new realtionship between neighbouring states.
- Local keywords RTÉ, Broadcasting, Royal Visit, Garden of Remembrance, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Philip, Mary McAleese, Alan Shatter, Brian Cowen, Bertie Ahern, Charlie Bird, 2010s
- Geographical coverage Dublin, Ireland
- Genre News
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ One
- Production year 2011
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier BN11/00137
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 16:9 (widescreen)
- Language used English (eng)
Broadcaster Gerry Ryan Dies
Broadcast - 30/04/2010
Clip Length - 00:02:25
Digital Switch Over
Broadcast - 15/03/2011
Clip Length - 00:01:30
Queen Elizabeth II Visits Ireland
Broadcast - 17/05/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:45
President Obama in Moneygall
Broadcast - 23/05/2011
Clip Length - 00:03:37
Homage to Anne Doyle
Broadcast - 25/12/2011
Clip Length - 00:02:34