Jim Power, Michael Keyes, Minister for Posts and Telegraphs, Sile Ni Bhriain, announcer, at the formal opening of the continuity suite in Radio Éireann studios at the GPO in Dublin on 19 April 1956.
- Title Minister Opens Continuity Studio
- Production Year 1956
- ContributorDuncan, GA (Photographer)
- Title Radio Éireann Continuity Suite Official Opening
- Material Type Image
- Clip title Minister Opens Continuity Studio
- Extended description
In 1953, two additional studios were added to the three existing radio studios in the GPO. The old Radio Éireann studios at the GPO were, by the 1950s, very outdated. They had been in use since 1928 and over the years had been re-arranged on an ad-hoc basis, so that the old orchestra studio served as a passage to the news room.
An additional six new studios were built to accompany the three existing studios. These were on the third floor of the GPO, on the O'Connell Street side. They had the drawbacks which were inevitable for studios fitted into an office building: the ceilings were too low, and it was very difficult to get efficient sound-insulation and combine it with ventilation and air-conditioning. However, compared with the old fourth floor studios in use since the 1920s, they were a marvel of modernity.
The new studios were also equipped for the production of round table discussions and plays.
- Local keywords Radio Éireann, GPO, Media, Broadcasting, RTÉ, Radio, Studio, 1950s, Jim Power, Michael Keyes, Sile Ni Bhriain
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre News
- Topic The Media
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 0286/091
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ Stills Library. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Libraries and Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Libraries and Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type whole
- Item colour Black and White