Michael Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore, (Washington) celebrates the Pontifical High Mass in the Phoenix Park during the 31st International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin, 1932.
- Title Eucharistic Congress
- Production Year 1932
- Title Broadcasting The Eucharistic Congress 1932
- Material Type Image
- Clip title Eucharistic Congress
- Extended description
This mass marked the end of the Eucharistic Congress.
2RN broadcast from the Eucharistic Congress using the new high-powered 60kw transmitter (later increased to 100 kw) installed at Athlone.
Irish listeners heard the voice of John McCormack singing at High Mass. The event was also relayed by the BBC and several national stations in continental Europe. This was the largest event broadcast in the early years of Irish radio. By this time over 30,000 licences had been issued in the Irish Free State.
Image of the Pontifical High Mass in the Phoenix Park 31st International Eucharistic Congress in Dublin 1932. The photograph is taken from the RTÉ Murtagh Collection.
The photograph was taken on 26 June 1932.
© RTÉ Stills Library 0503/052
- Local keywords 2RN, Radio, RTÉ, Broadcasting, 1930s, Eucharistic Congress, Religion, Catholic Church
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic The Media
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 0503_052
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - © RTÉ Stills Library
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type whole
- Item colour Black and White
- Broadcasting The Eucharistic Congress 1932 Production Year - 1932
- Athlone Station and Transmitter Officially Opened Production Year - 1933
Sponsored Programmes 1930s
Clip Length - 00:00:40
An Gaedhael agus an Rádíó
Production Year - 1936
Publisher Broadcaster - RTÉ & Conradh na Gaeilge
'O'Donnell Abú' Becomes 2RN Station Identification Signal 1936
Clip Length - 00:41:00