The 1920s saw the beginning of Irish radio as 2RN began broadcasting from a studio and office at 36 Little Denmark Street, in Dublin.
Seamus Clandillon was the station's First Director of Programming. Content featured very few speech programmes with an emphasis on music played live often by solo performers.
In 1927 a studio was opened in Cork while the following year in Dublin 2RN moved into the General Post Office. Máiread Ní Ghráda became the first person responsible for programmes for women and children.