The 1920s saw the beginning of Irish radio as 2RN began broadcasting from a studio and office at 36 Little Denmark Street, in Dublin. Seamus Clandillon was the station's First Director of Programming. Content featured very few speech programmes with an emphasis on music played live often by solo performers.
In 1927 a studio was opened in Cork while the following year in Dublin 2RN moved into the General Post Office. Máiread Ní Ghráda became the first person responsible for programmes for women and children.
Douglas Hyde, founder of the Gaelic League and later first President of the Irish Free State, officially opens 2RN.
Séamus Clandillon was appointed 2RN first Director of Broadcasting (later renamed Radio Éireann).
This is an example of 'Tuairisc an Bhollscaire', the announcer's report of programmes as broadcast. The report listed timings of items, copyright details and any incidents or interruptions to the broadcast programme.
Jimmy Mahon, who joined 2RN a week after it began broadcasting, tells Donnchadh Ó Dúlaing his memories of those early days for Irish radio.
Minister J.J. Walsh, speaking at the opening of the Cork radio studios.
Mairéad Ní Ghráda explains her role as a "Woman Organiser" and recalls the early days of drama production at 2RN.
Some listeners wrote to the Director of Broadcasting. In the main, their correspondence consisted of complaints. Many letters appeared in the newspapers under pseudonyms such as "Cat's Whisker" or "Antenna" or "Two-Valve".
2RN left the cramped conditions of its single studio in Little Denmark Street in 1928 and moved into its new headquarters in the General Post Office.