Heaney explains his fascination with bogs.
- Title Writer in Profile: Seamus Heaney
- 1st Broadcast 23/08/1976
- ContributorAindreas Ó Gallchóir (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:02
- Material Type Video
- Series title Writer in Profile
- Clip title "A Feminine Goddess-Ridden Ground"
- Extended description
Aindreas Ó Gallchóir asks Heaney to read the poem 'Bogland' from his collection 'Door into the Dark' and to explain his fascination with bogs. Americans have prairies, but the Irish have bogs. A lot of the symbols the Irish identify themselves with come out of bogs. It preserves things. People were sacrificed to it, making it a feminine goddess-ridden ground.
‘Writer in Profile’ was a weekly television interview with a well-known Irish writer. The series was produced by James Plunkett and mainly presented by Augustine Martin.
- Local keywords Seamus Heaney, Poet, Poetry, Literature, Bogland, Bogs, Bog Poems, Door into the Dark, Aindreas Ó Gallchóir
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Arts and Culture
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel Telefís Éireann
- Production year 1976
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier 94D00010
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Colour
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
Mossbawn and the Bog
Clip Length - 00:04:08
"A Feminine Goddess-Ridden Ground"
Broadcast - 23/08/1976
Clip Length - 00:04:02
'We Have No Prairies'
Broadcast - 16/12/2000
Clip Length - 00:04:27
"What More Do You Want Than Four Very Good Poems?"
Broadcast - 09/07/1974
Clip Length - 00:02:30
"...But in Russian, It Means God"
Broadcast - 29/06/1975
Clip Length - 00:05:30