Heaney talks about his year teaching in Berkeley, California in 1970.
- Title My Education: Seamus Heaney
- 1st Broadcast 18/04/1996
- ContributorJohn Quinn (Presenter)
- Clip Duration 00:04:42
- Material Type Audio
- Series title My Education
- Clip title "It Was the Most Important Year of My Life, Maybe"
- Extended description
Heaney talks to John Quinn about his year teaching in Berkeley, California in 1970, which had a huge effect on his life and work. He had never lived outside Ireland before and here he was in America, experiencing the beat movement and anti-Vietnam War protests. He also met the writer and academic Tom Flanagan and had a reorientation towards Ireland.
‘My Education’ was a 1990s radio series in which famous people recalled their education. It was presented and produced by John Quinn. Each half-hour programme focused on the memories of one person, who described “all the influences – family, school, books, events, places – that have contributed to his or her ‘education’” (RTÉ Guide, 31 May 1991, p. 4). ‘My Education was originally designed as a summer series and first broadcast on 6 June 1991.
The accompanying image shows Seamus Heaney in 1983. © RTÉ Archives 2000/016
- Local keywords Seamus Heaney, Poet, Poetry, Literature, Education, Academia, United States, America, Berkeley, University of California, John Quinn
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Arts and Culture
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel RTÉ Radio One
- Production year 1996
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier AA6494
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item sound Mono
- Language used English (eng)