Loyalist strikers bring down the Sunningdale agreement by paralysing Northern Ireland with a general strike.
- Title Commercial Life Disrupted by General Strike
- 1st Broadcast 23/05/1974
- Clip Duration 00:01:57
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title Belfast Paralysed by Loyalist Strike
- Extended description
In May 1974, the Ulster Workers’ Council responded to the new Sunningdale power-sharing agreement by calling a general strike against it. The loyalist strikers blocked roads and cut off essential services in Northern Ireland.
This RTÉ News report shows people queueing for dwindling petrol and food supplies in Belfast. Milk is being dumped and hens are being slaughtered. Thousands are signing on the dole because factories have been paralysed.
The strike ended after two weeks with the resignation of chief minister Brian Faulkner and the collapse of Sunningdale.
A RTÉ News report from Belfast on 23 May 1974.
- Local keywords Industrial disputes, General strike, Northern Ireland, Troubles, Sunningdale, Ulster Workers' Council, Loyalists, Brian Faulkner, Power-sharing
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Society and Social Issues
- First broadcast channel RTÉ
- Production year 1974
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N143/0074A
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
“The Beginning of an Irish Revolution.”
Broadcast - 15/09/1963
Clip Length - 00:02:59
“We Got the Fortnight’s Holiday for Everyone in Dublin”
Broadcast - 13/12/1995
Clip Length - 00:04:27
“People Are Really, Really Mad for Newspapers”
Broadcast - 13/08/1965
Clip Length - 00:04:44
“They Can’t Sleep With the Smell”
Broadcast - 12/08/1968
Clip Length - 00:02:20
“We Have No Source of Income At All”
Broadcast - 04/03/1969
Clip Length - 00:05:10
Belfast Paralysed by Loyalist Strike
Broadcast - 23/05/1974
Clip Length - 00:01:57