The poet Patrick Kavanagh pays tribute to President Kennedy in the RTV Guide.
- Title The Murdered King by Patrick Kavanagh
- Production Year 1963
- ContributorPatrick Kavanagh (Writer)
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- Material Type Document
- Clip title "Intelligence, virtue and man of letters ruled"
- Extended description
The poet Patrick Kavanagh wrote this tribute to President Kennedy a week after he died. It was published in his weekly column in the RTV Guide on 6 December 1963.
The murdered king of the title is President Kennedy because Kavanagh regards him as a king in the Shakespearean sense of the word. He writes that "Mr Kennedy’s period of office is the only one I can think of, unless one goes back to Charlemagne or the Roman Emperor, Marcus Aurelius, in which imagination, intelligence, virtue and man of letters ruled".
'The RTV Guide' provided listings of television and radio programmes. The first edition was published on 1 December 1961. In July 1966 the magazine changed name to become 'The RTÉ Guide' and is still published on a weekly basis.
The poet Patrick Kavanagh wrote a weekly column for the magazine from 1963 until his death in 1967.
- Local keywords President Kennedy, John F. Kennedy, JFK, RTV Guide
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier RTVGuide
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
Dockers and Street Traders Pay Their Respects
Broadcast - 26/11/1963
Clip Length - 00:00:44
The Murdered King by Patrick Kavanagh
Production Year - 1963
Contributor - Patrick Kavanagh (Writer)