Mike Burns reports for RTÉ News from the farmyard in Dunganstown, Co. Wexford, where President Kennedy had taken tea with his Irish relatives.
- Title Mass in Dunganstown for President Kennedy
- 1st Broadcast 24/11/1963
- ContributorMike Burns (Reporter)
- Clip Duration 00:02:22
- Material Type Video
- Series title RTÉ News
- Clip title "He smiled, he joked"
- Extended description
Mike Burns reports for RTÉ News from the farmyard in Dunganstown, Co. Wexford, where five months earlier, President Kennedy had taken tea with his Irish relatives: "he smiled, he joked, and that is how the people of Dunganstown want to remember him".
On this rainy day, two days after his assassination, the people of Dunganstown travelled for a special mass to the parish church St Brigid’s at Ballykelly, where the president’s great-grandfather, Patrick Kennedy, went to mass before he emigrated to America.
The report includes a clip from the mass, which was attended by the president’s relatives Mary Ryan and Jim Kennedy, and the people leaving the church.
A RTÉ News report on reaction to the death of President Kennedy in Dunganstown, Co. Wexford.
This report was broadcast on 24 November 1963.
- Local keywords President Kennedy, John F. Kennedy, JFK, Dunganstown, St Brigid's Church, Ballykelly, Wexford, Patrick Kennedy, Mary Ryan, Jim Kennedy
- Geographical coverage Ireland
- Genre News
- Topic Politics and Economics
- Publisher Broadcaster RTÉ
- First broadcast channel Telefís Éireann
- Production year 1963
- Country of production Ireland
- Original identifier N702/00063
- IPR restrictions Rights Reserved - Free Access
- Rights terms and conditions
Copyright RTÉ. This material may not be replicated in any form or manner without the prior express permission of RTÉ. Any form of reproduction in print, television, video, multimedia, web site or other electronic media or any form of dissemination for commercial or non-commercial use must be licensed by the RTÉ Archives.
If you wish to licence video or audio clips, still images or text, or would like further guidance please contact us.
RTÉ Archives are committed to respecting the copyright of others and have attempted to source and credit the copyright owners of all material used here. RTÉ would like to hear from any copyright owners who are not properly identified here so that the necessary corrections can be made. If you feel your copyright has not been respected please contact us.
- Item type part/extract
- Item colour Black and White
- Item sound Mono
- Aspect ratio 4:3
- Language used English (eng)
- Original language English (eng)
"This Is Where We All Say Goodbye"
Broadcast - 28/07/1963
Clip Length - 00:04:41
"Go Safely and Return Soon"
Broadcast - 29/06/1963
Clip Length - 00:01:34
The Kennedy Visit
Production Year - 1963
Publisher Broadcaster - RTÉ
"President Kennedy has been assassinated"
Broadcast - 22/11/1963
Clip Length - 00:03:07
"We of Limerick mourn with them who are left to mourn"
Broadcast - 23/11/1963
Clip Length - 00:03:32
"He smiled, he joked"
Broadcast - 24/11/1963
Clip Length - 00:02:22